Friday, July 10, 2009

Musing: The things we don't know

There’s so much we don’t know about each other.

I’ve had the pleasure of profiling several people I consider to be good friends, people with whom I’ve shared so many conversations and experiences that I thought I could probably write their profiles without interviewing them. We sat down for interviews anyway, because if nothing else it was a good excuse to spend some time together.

I learned so much.

We think we know our friends and family, but how often do we set aside our mental story of who they are and ask them about the experiences they’ve had and what those experiences have meant to them? How often do we ask about their hopes and goals and what matters most to them?

Try it. I have a feeling you’ll be as surprised and delighted as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment